Thursday, May 1, 2008

Coming soon ...

For those of you who might not know me, I graduated in '06 with my master's degree in music composition from the University of New Orleans. Since then, I've been working as an administrative assistant at UNO and as a part-time student in the master's program in public administration, while occasionally teaching evenings as an adjunct for UNO's Department of Music.

I have found myself with so little time that it is becoming increasingly hard to get myself started on any composition projects. This is somewhat troublesome to me, as I find my overall mood dependent upon my creative output ... which has been next to none. Sure, I've worked on some small film scores, but nothing serious. As I would like to continue on with doctoral studies in composition once the MPA is completed, it is important for me (both professionally and personally) to continue to compose.

So, I present to you The Daily Composer, starting on May 12th. In line with the ever-popular meme "365," where people post one photograph they take every day, I'll be writing one composition per day.

My guidelines/goals are as follows:
  • Minimum of 12 measures;
  • Fragments or phrases allowed: no piece needs to stand on its own;
  • If a day is missed, it must be made up the following day or as soon as possible;
  • Scores will be posted; and
  • If possible, real recordings or digital renderings will be posted.
I am notorious for being overly-optimistic, but I feel that these are realistic goals. I suspect some days I will be able to produce more than 12 measures, but anything less than that would likely not be useful. As stated, these pieces do not need to "stand on their own" as I hope to produce material that, once the project is complete, could be developed into larger-scaled works.

I'll be running the experiment in three phases:
  • Phase I: 7 days
  • Phase II: 30 days (inclusive of Phase I)
  • Phase III: 365 days (inclusive of Phases I and II)
So, see you on May 12th.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You can do it buddy.

Matt Wrote This said...

I'll be checking in, my friend, as you know I'm always interested in your creative output.

Are you going to be putting these up in Finale scores so I could like... play them thru Finale and hear what they sound like?

Unknown said...

write a piece for the Hang!
D Minor: (D) A C D F G A C
F Major: (F) A A# C E F A A# C