Monday, June 16, 2008

Thirty-two. (Day 3.)

At this rate I might never finish in 7 days. Regardless, here is today's work. It's 3 pages, so I'm moving it to PDF format. Ignore some obvious layout issues -- I didn't feel like spending too much time fussing around with it. Let me know if there are problems with the PDF -- I'm using CutePDF, since it's free, so there might be some conversion issues.



This is, essentially, half of the exposition, ending at just about where the introduction of the second theme will be. I changed around some of the instrumentation, as I felt that the French horn's entrance in measure 9 of yesterday's post was extremely high for the dynamic marked (mp -- mezzo piano, or sort of soft). (Also, in that range the bassoon and French horn have comparable timbres, as the horn gets a tighter, more nasal sound the higher it gets. In that regard, swapping instruments was not an issue.)

The introduction ends on measure 20, and 21 starts "theme A," which you might recognize from Eleven, although slower and in a different key. The theme is passed around a bit: first on bassoon, then flute (measure 26), then French horn (measure 33). This part of the exposition ends on an A minor chord (minus the third) and an accelerando to a quicker tempo -- I'll probably change this to accommodate the introduction of "theme B," which will be new material from Eleven.

I'll hopefully finish up the exposition, transition, and begin work on the development tomorrow. This is going to be a fun piece -- I think its best in this form to use simple themes, as complex themes do not allow for a lot of variety when developing. Or at least that's my opinion.

1 comment:

krisis said...

I really love this. I was going to try to leave some critical comments, but I honestly get so wrapped up in listening to it every time that I lose track of whatever it was I was going to say.

Also, it's a nice emphasis of one of my current personal themes: that things do not need to be complicated in order to be compelling.