Saturday, June 14, 2008

Thirty-two. (Day 1.)

I think I'll keep these all listed as "Thirty-two," while just keeping track of the days spent on it. After 7 days (or, I suppose, as long as it takes?) I'll start on Thirty-three.

I spent the time for this day mapping out the form for the piece. I'm going to go with a fairly straightforward sonata form (a scan of my "road map," as I like to do, will be attached on Monday, as I have no scanner at home). Obviously, as Eleven was for woodwind quintet, this will

Sonata form (sometimes referred to as sonata allegro) is an expanded A-B-A form. That looks sort of like this:

Exposition - Development - Recapitulation

Usually there is a type of introduction, and typically two themes are presented in the exposition, one in the tonic, then a transition to the second theme being presented in a key similar to the first (for example, if theme A is in D major, theme B might be in A major; likewise, B minor might transition to D major). The development allows some creative explorations of the two themes, and the recapitulation is usually both themes presented in the original tonic. A coda (think "outro") usually ends the piece. I used a modification of this form in my thesis, Mobius a couple years back.

I'll be sticking fairly closely to this.

No comments: